Fitness and Swim Center Policies
The SWTJC La Forge Hall Gymnasium and Memorial Swimming Pool Fitness and Swim Center exist to support the academic mission of the college by providing adequate space for physical education and wellness for students and community. Additionally, the Fitness and Swim Center serves to support intercollegiate athletics and other student life activities. The Fitness and Swim Center is a special-use facility offering a wide spectrum of fitness opportunities.
It is the college's desire to maintain a safe and clean gymnasium and swimming pool. The purpose of this policy is to ensure close monitoring of activities in the Fitness and Swim Center to accomplish this goal.
- All SWTJC Fitness Center users must present a current, valid SWTJC ID card. (Students, Faculty, Staff, Community, Faculty/Staff family members)
- Entrance to the SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center is only allowed through the access control area of the Welcome Desk. Anyone found to have entered or assisted entrance into the facility through any other means will be asked to leave the premises and further disciplinary action may be taken.
- Campus Recreation reserves the right to refuse admittance to anyone violating facility usage requirements.
- All policies outlined in the Southwest Texas Junior College Student Code of Conduct will be enforced.
- All SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center users are expected to be responsible, courteous, and safety conscious at all times. Disorderly conduct, abuse, misuse of the facility and its equipment, or disregard for the Center’s policies and staff will not be tolerated. Violators will be required to leave the facility and may be subject to disciplinary action and suspension.
- Only authorized staff is permitted in equipment rooms.
- The SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center may be closed for special events, classes, or varsity sports practices. Please abide by any posted signs.
- An updated Fitness and Swim Center schedule is posted outside the equipment room in La Forge Hall Gymnasium Fitness Center and the main entry hallway bulletin board at the Memorial Swimming Pool Swim Center.
- The SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- All users are responsible for keeping the facility clean and safe.
- Towels are recommended for all users and are issued from the Welcome Desk by Fitness Center Staff.
- To protect the equipment and improve health conditions, all users are required to wipe down equipment after each use. Gym Wipes are provided.
- All wounds must be covered with a bandage.
- Please put equipment back into its appropriate storage space.
- Spitting or defacing the facility will not be tolerated.
- Report malfunctioning or damaged equipment to the Fitness and Swim Center Staff at Welcome Desk immediately.
- Misuse of equipment may result in immediate expulsion from the facility.
- Incidents and injuries should be reported to the Fitness and Swim Center Staff immediately.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Fitness Center. Water in a closed cap bottle is allowed.
- Please be aware of your behavior and respect of other users and Fitness and Swim Center Staff in the facility.
- Observe the maximum of 30 minutes on cardio equipment when someone is waiting.
- Use all equipment appropriately, machines, free weights and small equipment.
- NO profanity.
- Items left unclaimed for more than 30 days will be discarded or donated to charity. The SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Third-party personal training is NOT allowed in the SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center.
- Harassment of other Fitness and Swim Center users, guests or staff, either verbally or physically will not be tolerated. This may include verbal abuse, use of profanity or other abusive language, intimidation, staring at or following another person within the facility.
The SWTJC Fitness Center and Swim reserves the right to reduce hours during breaks, final exams, between academic semesters, and during the summer. The Fitness Center may temporarily close for maintenance purposes. We reserve the right to close due to weather and on public and SWTJC recognized holidays and will be held harmless should the facility be unavailable for use at these times or due to damage by fire, acts of God, catastrophe, accident, or other reasons beyond the control of Southwest Texas Junior College.
Fitness and Swim Center Amenities
- Music and television entertainment is provided for all users.
- Music played through the sound system is chosen by Fitness Center Staff with all users in mind. If you would prefer to listen to your own music, please bring a headset and music device.
- Personal music must be kept at an appropriate volume. Other users should not be able to hear it.
- The televisions will always be set on closed caption for the comfort of all users.
- Equipment can be checked out at the Welcome Desk. (towels, basketballs, volleyballs, soccer balls, jump ropes, softball equipment, racquetball equipment, weight belts)
- Showers are available in the Fitness and Swim Center.
Questions should be directed to the Gymnasium Facilitator (830)-591-7315 on duty or Kinesiology Department Coordinator (830) 591-7241.
We desire that all patrons feel safe and comfortable using our facilities. The overriding principles to keep in mind are safety, modesty, and appropriateness.
- Use of proper athletic shoes and modest attire while using the Fitness and Swim Center is required.
- Only clean, dry, non-marking athletic shoes are permitted when using the gymnasium and racquet ball.
- Sandals or other open shoes are not permitted in the free weight room or any of the fitness machine areas (strength and cardio rooms).
- Appropriate attire is required for the safety of users and to prevent disease transmission.
- Proper athletic clothing is required when using exercise areas (T-shirts, athletic shorts/pants). Denim material example (jeans or cut-offs) is not allowed on equipment.
- Clothing must adhere to the SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center Dress Policy.
Workout Area Policy
General Fitness Area, Free Weight and Strength Machine Specifics
- Weight gloves are recommended when using free weights.
- DO NOT drop or clang weights!
- Cell phone use is not permitted while using equipment.
- Return all weights to their appropriate storage locations.
- Observe caution at all times.
- Utilize a spotter and collars when using free weights.
- No excessive loud noise of any kind.
- Please be courteous to others by limiting the length of your workout at a single station. Be respectful of other users in this space.
- Horseplay will not be tolerated.
- Maintain control of weights at all times. Dropping or throwing weights will not be tolerated.
- Deadlifts are only permitted inside Smith Machines and Power Racks. Weights cannot be dropped. Athlete must control the weight, not the weight controlling the athlete.
Small equipment specifics
- Do not bounce the medicine balls off the walls.
- Please put all equipment back into its appropriate storage space.
- The gym is used for open recreation, intramurals, and available for special event reservations and SWTJC approved practices.
- The gym may be closed for special events, classes, or varsity sports practices. Please abide by any posted signs.
- Basketball and volleyball are available to play during open recreation.
- Basketballs and volleyballs may be checked out from the equipment room by leaving a valid SWTJC ID.
- No black soled shoes that will leave marks on the gym floor.
- Spitting, abusive behavior or defacing the facility will not be tolerated. Damages will be the responsibility of the destructive user.
- Throwing balls against the walls, bleachers and lights is not permitted.
- Sitting or standing on top of the stage area is not permitted.
- Only Spill-proof water bottles are allowed. Food, Sports drinks and gum is not permitted.
- Dunking, slapping the backboards, and hanging on the rim or nets are STRICTLY PROHIBITED due to the risk of injury and potential damage to the equipment. Violations will result in immediate ejection from the facility.
- Incidents and injuries should be reported to the Fitness Center Staff at Welcome Desk immediately.
- Soccer balls, baseballs, softballs, Frisbees, and footballs are not permitted in the gym, except during practices or scheduled activities.
Racquetball Court Policy
- All SWTJC Fitness Center General Policies will be enforced.
- Racquetball Courts are available for reservation or walk-in use.
- Reservations can be made in person at the Welcome Desk or by calling (830)591-7315.
- Reservations can be made up to 24 hours in advanced and are reserved on the hour.
- Reservations can only be made for single, one-hour blocks.
- Reservations are forfeited if participants do not check-in by ten minutes after their reservation time.
- Reservations cannot be made after the start of the hour.
- All equipment used for racquetball is available for checkout to Fitness Center users at the Welcome Desk.
- Only a maximum of 4 people are allowed on the courts at one time.
- Close-toed, non-marking athletic shoes and shirts are required while in the racquetball courts.
- Protective goggles are recommended while playing.
Swim Center Policy
- No running, wrestling, or horseplay in pool area (on deck, dressing areas, or starting platforms).
- No swimming without the presence of a SWTJC Swim Center Lifeguard.
- Glass containers, alcoholic beverages, food or drinks are NOT permitted in the pool area.
- Pool use is reserved for students, Community Swim Center Users, faculty/staff, and their families only. Swimmers may be asked to show ID cards at any time.
- Children using floatation devices must be accompanied by an adult at all times in the water.
- Lifeguards reserve the right to restrict the use of boards and deep-water area to people according to swimming ability.
- Children under 15 years of age must be accompanied by parent or guardian 18 years and older.
- No bikes, skateboards or roller skates in pool area.
- No animals.
- No smoking.
- No diving in the shallow end.
Participants are expected to use equipment and facility for its intended purposes and maintain safety at all times. For assistance please see the SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center Staff on duty. Everyone is expected to respect the policies, staff, and others. Any accidents or injuries must be reported immediately. Use equipment at your own risk. All other SWTJC Fitness and Swim Center Policies apply.
Questions should be directed to the Gymnasium Facilitator (830) 591-7315 on duty or Kinesiology Coordinator (830) 591-7241.
Fitness & Swim Center Policies (.pdf)