Creative Arts Contest
Annual Awards Ceremony
Winners in each age group and category will be presented an award at the annual SWTJC Creative Arts Contest Awards Ceremony. The ceremony will take place Thursday, April 23, 2015 at the SWTJC Matthews Student Center located on the main campus in Uvalde. We will give first, second, third, and fourth place awards in each age group and category. A $20 cash prize will be awarded overall literary and visual arts winners in each age group. You will be notified by mail before the awards ceremony if you are a winner. Traditionally, we do not tell you what place you have won. We save that for the ceremony!
Literary Deadline: February 26, 2015 at 5 pm
- All manuscripts must be TYPED ON A WORD PROCESSOR/COMPUTER (white paper only).
- The name of the contestant SHOULD NOT appear on the manuscript.
- A completed entry form cover sheet must accompany each entry. Be sure to indicate the appropriate age division and category.
- Poetry may be written in any form, but MAY NOT exceed 150 lines.
- Essays must not exceed 1,200 words. Entry in the essay category is limited to grades 7 and up.
- Short stories MUST NOT exceed 2,000 words.
- Contestants may enter more than one category, but may submit only one entry in each category.
- Each school may submit only six entries per age group per category.
- WRITING ENTRIES WILL NOT BE RETURNED. PLEASE MAKE A COPY of your entry before submitting it.
- Age divisions:
- pre-K and Kindergarten
- grades 1-2
- grades 3-4
- grades 5-6
- grades 7-8
- grades 9-10
- grades 11-12
- seasoned (age 60 and over)
Visual Arts Rules:
Visual Arts Deadline: March 5, 2015 at 5 pm
Visual Art Categories:
- Drawing with Color
- Pen and Ink Drawing (one-color ink)
- Photography (grades 7 and up)
- Computer-Generated Graphics
- Mixed Media (college, community and seasoned only)
- Video Production (grades 7 and up, includes community and seasoned)
- Divisions (age groups) are the same as the literary contest.
- Entries must be submitted in a form suitable for display (For instance, mount entry on poster board, construction paper or matte board for easy hanging and in a size that is easy to handle). PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT FRAMED ART, we cannot display this properly.
- Contestants may enter more than one category, but entrants in each art division may submit ONLY ONE entry in each category.
- In the Photography contest, either color or black and white photographs may be submitted. Entries will be judged according to composition, treatment of subject, and other artistic qualities deemed appropriate by the judges. Photography competition is LIMITED to grades 7 and up.
- A completed entry form must accompany each entry. The entry must be attached to the back of the piece of art.
- Art CANNOT exceed the following size: 24" x 18" (This size includes the art and the matte).
- Clip art from computer programs will not be accepted as a Computer-Generated Graphic. Entries must be originals that have been designed by the entrant. Color or black and white entries accepted.
- Videos may be submitted in DVD format. This is an open topic category, however, videos must be from 1 to 8 minutes long. This competition is limited to grades 7 and up.
- Each school can submit only six entries per age group in each category.
Deliver all entries by mail (SWTJC Public Information Office; 2401 Garner Field Rd; Uvalde, TX 78801), or in person to the SWTJC Public Information Office in the E. Richarz Building on the SWTJC Uvalde campus.
Questions? Call (830) 591-2942.